Saturday, June 24, 2017

IS GOD SAFE? NO, BUT HE IS GOOD!

 
        Is God good?  Yes, but is He safe?  That is the question we must ask ourselves before we step out and serve the Creator of the universe - Jesus Christ Almighty.  In C. S. Lewis' masterpiece of literature, The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe, the character Aslan represents Jesus our Lord.  Upon finding out she was a bout to meet Aslan and he was a lion, Susan asks "Is he - quite safe...?" The reply she received: "Who said anything about safe? 'Course he isn't safe.  But he's good.  He's the king I tell you."  If you are looking for safe, look elsewhere -  hell was made for wimps.  If you are looking for good, Jesus Himself said, "there is none good but God."


     God calls us to:  2 Samuel 10:12  Be of good courage, and let us be courageous for our people, and for the cities of our God, and may the LORD do what seems good to him." The good God of Scripture does not want to use us in comfort zones or "safe spaces".  The God I serve calls me out of my comfort zone on a regular basis!  The God I serve requires courage.  In sharing my frustration with a friend this week, he reminded me, "You've gotten comfortable dude, God doesn't want you to be comfortable." 

     I think one of God's favorite question from His children is one borne of frustration: "What more can I do Lord...?"  God's response must be, "I thought you'd never ask!  Let me show you!  Come on, let's go do this together!"  This is where the fun begins.  Look at all the cool things God's servants got to do in scripture: Noah got to sail around the world, David got to slay a giant, Jonah got to see the inside of a fish and lived to tell about it, Daniel got to spend the night with a pride of lions, Peter got to walk on water, Elijah got to fly to heaven in a chariot of fire, and Ezekiel got to go for a ride with God in a... well I am not entirely sure what he is describing in Ezekiel chapter 1, but it seems awesome!  So awesome Ezekiel could not speak for the next seven days.  The point is, serving God is an adventure and it is not always easy and it is certainly not safe.

If you are looking for adventure and fulfillment check out the path Jesus marked out for you from foundations of the earth. Serving God will not be easy, safe nor comfortable but I promise - IT WILL BLOW YOUR MIND!

Related post - WHAT IS GOD'S DIRECTION FOR MY LIFE

No comments:

Post a Comment